We will do all we can to ensure that you have an exceptional experience with us. Before you come in for your first visit, it’s important that you know exactly what to expect, and what paperwork you will be required to bring with you.
your first visit.
Welcome and thank you for choosing Professional Physical Therapy.
In preparation for your first appointment with Professional Physical Therapy, please visit our Patient Forms page, and download your paperwork. If possible, please print the forms, and fill them out at your convenience. If you complete the forms, please remember to bring them with you to your first scheduled visit.
We suggest that you arrive 10-15 minutes before the start of your first scheduled appointment to complete our registration process.
Please be sure to:
- Bring the forms you completed at home
- Bring your physical or occupational therapy prescription, if you have one
- Bring your insurance card or case number
- Bring any relevant diagnostic reports you may have (for example, x-ray or MRI)
- Wear comfortable clothes that will allow the therapist access to the body part you are having treated
evaluation part 1.
The first part of your initial evaluation involves an interview, during which we will review your medical history and your current symptoms. Be prepared to answer questions such as:
- What types of symptoms are you experiencing?
- How long have you been experiencing these symptoms?
- How did it start?
- What aggravates and eases these symptoms?
Please be sure to tell your therapist about any previous therapy treatment you may have had, as well as the results.
evaluation part 2.
The next step is an extensive examination. During your exam, your therapist may evaluate the following:
- Range of Motion
- Mobility and Movement Patterns
If appropriate, your therapist may also perform special clinical tests to help with the assessment process.
After your interview and initial evaluation, your physical or occupational therapist will explain his or her assessment of your condition, as well as the individual treatment plan that has been designed for you. Your therapist will also introduce you to the team that will be involved in your rehabilitative care.
If, at any time, you have questions regarding any aspect of your treatment plan, do not hesitate to ask. Your understanding of our assessment and treatment plan is essential to helping you achieve your goals, and is fundamental to a successful outcome.
the next steps.
The next step in your initial appointment will be to begin your treatment. This will most likely involve the following:
- Some hands-on work
- Therapeutic modalities, such as ice, heat, or electrical stimulation
- Therapeutic exercise program
- Education about activity modification
- Education about a home exercise program, designed individually for you
Since you will likely spend just two to three hours a week receiving treatment at Professional, what you do before and after treatment is critical to your outcomes. Following your prescribed home exercise program and activity modification is likely to help you attain your goals much faster.
Please remember to check in with our front desk staff on your way out. They will schedule follow-up treatment visits with you, and answer any administrative questions you have.
Once again, thank you for choosing Professional Physical Therapy. We suggest you browse through our Frequently Asked Questions, and check out our Locations page for directions to the office most convenient for you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.
We look forward to helping you soon.